Spiritual Meaning Of Knocking
Learn whether there is a spiritual meaning of knocking – and if so what it might mean and how to deal with it.
Spirits Knocking On Doors, Floors, Walls Or Anywhere Likely Mean No Harm
It’s probably happened to us all at some point. You hear a distinct knocking at the door and when you investigate there’s no-one there. Is it pranks, natural phenomenon or could there be a spiritual meaning of knocking that you heard?
What Is The Spiritual Meaning Of Knocking?
The answer to this question is very similar to that of the spiritual meaning of a doorbell ringing in that most likely there is a 3D physical reason for the event. Though the physical reasons will differ, there is almost always a sensible, physical reason for the knocks. One should only consider the spiritual reason for the knocking if you’ve ruled out the probable physical reasons.
Physical Reasons For Knocking
To help you rule out the physical reasons for knocking, here’s some pointers that could be where the noise is coming from. Check these out, and consider any others relating to your specific circumstances – and then read on for what the spiritual meaning of knocking could be for you.
- Doors expanding and contracting. When the sun comes out onto a door it will warm it up fairly quickly. This causes the door to expand and the joints and seams will eventually move in a quick motion that makes the door bang. Windows can do the same. When the sun goes in the door will cool and the same thing happens in reverse.
- Water pipes in the house. These are often confused with footsteps or knocking. But these too will expand and contract as water flows through them, heating them up or cooling them down. As they expand they move against the wooden joists of the floor, or parts of the wall in which they are concealed. They reach a certain point where the friction no longer holds them in the same place and they move quickly to a slightly new position. You probably wouldn’t see it happen even if you were to look at it as the movement is small. But it can create a disturbing knocking sound when it happens.
- Animals throwing things at your door. We’ve seen stories of animals (squirrels and the like) who were fed by previous owners of properties who’ve moved away, now throwing their acorns and pine cones at doors in a request for the food they’ve become used to. It’s not common, but it allegedly happens.
- Pranksters will often knock on doors and then run away. They’re usually hidden somewhere slightly out of view but where they can see your door to see if you open it. This is the most likely explanation if the knocking is rhythmic or more than just a single knock. Security cameras angled toward the door would help rule this one in or out.
- Auditory hallucinations. These can be surprisingly real sounding and may be worth getting checked out by a doctor. Tinnitus can present as knocking sounds – in my case it sounds rather like a diesel engine running outside the house. It’s not always there and comes and goes but it’s very real sounding.
What Does Spiritual Knocking Mean?
The above list is all well and good but if you’ve ruled out the physical reasons for the knocking then what does the knocking mean spiritually. Does it mean anything at all even?
There’s various schools of thought on this and some of it depends on when you hear the knocking (i.e., are you fully awake or are you dropping off to sleep?) and where you hear the knocking (i.e., is it from the floor above you, or is it knocking on a door?)
We’ll go into the sleeping knocks and the knocks on the door separately below – for this section we’ll deal with generic spiritual knocking and what it may mean.
In general, as with the spiritual meaning of a doorbell ringing, any knocking that you’re not able to explain with physical answers may be spiritual in nature. Science and sceptics would have us believe that such things are not possible. And horror movies would have us believe they’re something to be afraid of.
On their own though, spiritual knocking is not something to generally be afraid of. Many people believe that spiritual knocking sounds are from demons trying to get in somewhere. This is patently absurd because demons could get in anywhere they wanted to, with or without ID. The idea that spirits, or demons require permission to enter a home seems without merit and would fly counter to the idea of demonic possessions which are by and large involuntary.
For this reason, we don’t subscribe to the idea that any spiritual knocking is from demons or other spirit entities trying to gain permission to enter your home. Most people believe spirits/ghosts are energies that are not bound by walls and doors anyway – so why knock to ask permission?
We do believe however, that spiritual knocking can be an entity that wants to get your attention. If you’ve been wondering whether your spiritual guides are around and watching you for example. You may find that the house you’re in has spirit visitors already, and they are now trying to show you they are there by knocking.
What To Do If You’re Getting Unwanted Spiritual Knocking
Many people become quite afraid if they experience spiritual knocking. This is for a variety of reasons;
- Fear of the unknown
- Fear that the spirits mean harm
- Fear that the spirits can even harm you, if they wanted to
- Fear that the knocking is from the Devil himself (hint: it’s not)
Whilst there are accounts of Poltergeists being involved in spiritual knocking, and of course of Poltergeists causing damage or moving things around, such occurrences are relatively rare. There is generally nothing to fear from the spiritual knocking you’re receiving. But it is good to remain cautious.
It’s difficult to answer what you should do if you’re getting spiritual knocking without knowing a little bit of your particular background and as such this can only be generic guidance.
If you’ve been asking for a sign recently, for example you’ve been wondering if there is more to the universe than meets the eye, then the spiritual knocking could just be your answer. This is probably the beginning of your spiritual awakening adventure and we’d recommend getting in touch with a spiritual person in your neighbourhood. If possible, try to find one through word of mouth, as these are often the most trustworthy people.
If you’ve not been asking for a sign, or don’t want the knocking to continue, you can ask the spirits themselves to please stop. Become more demanding in your requests if they don’t stop when asked nicely. Some people find they don’t mind the spirits themselves being there, they just don’t want the disturbance. If that’s the case, tell them. Out loud. Remind them, if you’re at home, that it’s your home now. Most entities have no ill meaning toward you personally and many were just ordinary people like you who will honour reasonable requests.
If after repeated efforts to get the spirit to stop knocking, you may need to seek the professional help of a nearby medium or Pastor. It is very likely that the spirit means you no harm or malice, but is desperate to get a message across and may need help with that. A medium or Pastor can usually help with this. Once the message is passed, the spirit will normally move on naturally – but if not, the medium or Pastor can help with that too.
What Does Knocking on the Door Mean Spiritually
Earlier in this post we covered the idea that spirits knocking on doors meant that they wanted to come in. Social media these days is littered with this idea that spirit needs permission to enter your building. Some go as far to say you should never open the door to them because you’re then inviting in a demon. This is nonsense. A spirit no more needs your permission to enter the building than anyone else does.
It is social etiquette to ask for permission but if someone does not wish to abide by that etiquette they won’t. Burglars do not ask for permission before entering your home, nor will squatters if you leave it empty long enough. Spirits – particularly demons – will not ask either. They’ll enter and you’ll not be any the wiser that they’re there unless they let you know.
So, acknowledge the knocking because it is spirit letting you know that they are there. They may have a message for you, or want you to understand something. They may just want you to recognise their presence. There is no need to be afraid. If a spirit were able to harm you and wanted to, they would have done so already – the knocking is not asking for permission to cause you any harm.
If you feel you wish to, ask the spirit what they want. They may have something they want to pass on to you, or they may have something they would like your help with. If you don’t get an answer you may want to seek the help of a local medium or church pastor for assistance. Or the spirit may be letting you know that it’s time to begin your own spiritual awakening so that they can engage with you. As a complete ‘newbie’ this is best done by finding someone locally who can help you open your spiritual channels and guide you in protection methods and how to shut down when you are spiritually fatigued. They can also help keep you grounded and provide a sounding board while you’re experiencing what will be very strange things at times.
Hearing Knocking In Your Sleep Spiritual Meaning
Hearing knocking whilst falling asleep may have a spiritual meaning or it may not. There are some circumstances that ought to be ruled out before ascribing spiritual reasons to the knocking whilst you’re asleep or falling asleep. Some examples;
- Hearing is still sensitive whilst asleep, so did the knocking sound come from outside? Someone closing a car door for example. Someone closing the door or windows of their own house.
- Exploding Head Syndrome. This sounds far more dramatic than it actually is. But basically research is still ongoing as to its cause, but it creates a large noise or flashing light in your head as you’re falling asleep or waking up. Some people experience it more than others and it is likely related to a similar experience such as falling while you’re asleep waking you with a jolt.
- Medical reasons such as sleep apnoea can cause your heartbeat to be heard loudly in your ears while you are asleep. You may then jolt awake as your brain realises you must breathe and do so immediately – which forces you awake hurriedly.
If you think you have a medical reason for hearing the knocking while you’re asleep, you should consider contacting a doctor or primary healthcare practitioner to discuss your issues. Sleep apnoea in particular can lead to other issues and is worthy of investigation fairly urgently.
We would always advise seeking medical assistance for any condition that may have a medical basis before ascribing it to a spiritual cause. Some medical and psychological conditions can mimic spiritual causes and some are dangerous to ignore. Contact your healthcare professional if you’re in any doubt. As much as you may wish it had a spiritual connotation, you may find you’re actually having medical issues with an easy, and safe, resolution.
Does 3 Knocks On The Door Mean Death Is Coming?
No, it most certainly does not. At least, not if you’re here asking this question. Some people claim they hear 3 knocks and shortly afterwards someone dies. Whilst this is unlikely it is perhaps possible for those that have experienced it.
In this case, you would know if the 3 knocks means someone is going to die because you would likely have experienced it before. The difficulty here is that you will now be looking for who’s going to die and will determine, if someone does, that the knocks were somehow a notification of it.
But what’s the point? It wouldn’t tell you who’s about to die. Just someone. But we hear about death fairly regularly – whether it’s a close relative, friend or a famous person. We can ascribe the knocks as a symbol of the death if it fits. And generally, we make it fit.
I have experienced, on a few occasions, dreams whereby the person I am dreaming of tells me they are OK now or everything is sorted. Then the following morning I receive news of the person’s passing overnight. However, that’s quite a different thing to just hearing 3 knocks.
Knocks on the door are usually a spirit asking you to pay attention. Sometimes they may be spirit pranks just designed to startle you. In any case, if you hear 3 knocks on the door and you believe it is spirit, read the sections above to get some more advice on what it means and how to deal with it.
But it almost certainly does not mean death is coming.
Hearing knocking on doors, walls, floors, windows etc. almost always has a physical explanation. If you can, put up some security cameras to see if you can spot what it is that’s causing the knocking. Before attributing any knocking experiences to a spiritual source you should always rule out the physical possibilities first.
Sometimes medical reasons are the source of the knocking we hear. In this case you should definitely rule these out before deciding that the knocking has a spiritual meaning. Contact your primary healthcare person and discuss the issue with them.
If you have ruled out the physical and medical possibilities then you may be experiencing a spiritual knocking and be looking for the meaning. In almost all cases it is simply a spirit wanting to attract your attention for some reason. There is nothing to be afraid of.
Ask for help from a local medium if you feel overwhelmed yourself or are unable to discern any answers when you ask the spirit what you want.
We hope this post has been helpful and we wish you all the very best.
Please do leave your questions or comments below and we’ll do our best to give you our perspective on the meaning of your spiritual knocking issue.
Have Your Say:
This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We may also participate in other Affiliate programs. For further information please see our Affiliate Disclosure